Lilith & the Nephilim Snippet #6

Hannele was five days old when Sampsa saw her for the first time. She had been mine, just mine, for five days and now she was in the arms of our captor. I’d gained a bit of my strength back, but not nearly enough to get my daughter and me both out of the tower alive. I was still powerless even though fire kept flicking off of my fingertips. It was just reminding me of how helpless I was. It was only enough to entertain the baby, not to wage war against an ancient vampire.

He put her down on the bed and yanked me off the bed. He had seen the flames on my fingers and knew that I was regaining my strength. If only I’d pretended to be powerless for a bit longer, I wouldn’t have been bent over the bed where only five days earlier I’d given birth. Hannele, who hadn’t cried since she was born, let out a shrill cry that lasted until it was over. When he was done with me, Sampsa let me fall to the floor.

If I needed any more of a reminder as to how weak I still was, Sampsa decided to take Hannele and me to the Clinic. Well, he had Smoky take us because if he so much as stepped foot into the Clinic, he would have been horribly killed. I was surely a sight to see as I was wheeled up to my floor by a very smug dragon asshole. My pediatrician’s eyes teared up when we entered my room.

“Sarah,” Delbin breathed. “Let’s… let’s take a look at you.”

“You’re a pediatrician,” Smoky said.

“I know that.”

“You’ll look at my grandchild and no one else.”

“Your daughter looks like she was hit by a bus. I think she needs to see someone here. If you don’t want me to look at her, I can have someone else–”

“No one is going to be doing anything with her. She wouldn’t even be here if it weren’t for my grandchild so just do your job and I’ll be back to get them.”

After a battery of tests, Hannele Tuula was declared completely healthy. As he looked her over, Delbin had informed me on all the happenings that I’d missed. I was horrified to hear that Rory had tried to get through Sampsa’s barrier and was now in the Clinic because he’d been beaten so badly. Smoky still hadn’t come back so I finally looked up at Delbin and broke my silence.

“Delbin, can you take me to see him?”

“I would be more than happy to.”

Comments

Popular Posts