Lilith & the Nephilim Snippet #3

My face itched where the tears had dried and my eyes were swollen, but I tried to steel myself as the door knob jiggled slightly. Every click of the mechanics inside the lock made me cringe and shrink away. I felt a foot tall by the time the door opened.

“Good morning, suorra. How are you today?”

“Fine.”

There was not enough energy in me to fight Smoky. I needed to save it all up for the vampire he apparently worshipped more than I ever did.

“Just fine? Oh, but just fine just won’t do for my daughter and grandchild.”

“Please, don’t patronize me.”

“It’s nice to see you’ve found your manners after all.”

“I was taught manners by men who imprison little girls and pregnant women so, it’s really no surprise that it took a bit of time for them to manifest.”

“Imprison? You think you’re imprisoned?”

“Well, I’m not on vacation.”

“You are free to leave whenever you want.”

“Why do you lock the door then?”

“We do that to keep people out, not to keep you in. All you need to do is unlock it.”

“Then give me the key.”

“You don’t need a key to open it, suorra, and we both know that. You can simply think it open.”

He didn’t know. Smoky didn’t know that I was powerless. Or maybe he did and he was still mocking me. He could be trying to goad me into a fight or into some sort of breakdown. That was a fight I could win. I just couldn’t let him get to me and I’d be fine.

“Why are you here, Volos?”

“I don’t appreciate your tone.”

“I don’t appreciate having a couple of psychos threaten my family. Well, one psycho and his wannabe minion.”

The back of his hand hit the side of my face before I could react. It stung like hell and I wanted so badly to retaliate but I didn’t have a chance to even move. Sampsa flew into the room like a bullet, tackling Smoky to the ground. They moved so quickly that I could barely see them. Growling and the breaking of bones were the only distinguishable sounds. I ended up backed into the corner, clutching my stomach. I squeezed my eyes shut and focused on the baby. I pictured its little face, hands grasping for the first time, feet kicking. I tried to imagine what it would look like. She. I tried to imagine what she’d look like. My daughter would have dark hair like Sampsa and my green eyes. She would be perfect in every way.

Comments

Popular Posts