Movie Review: Poltergeist

Third movie in my fear-over-sadness marathon: Poltergeist.

I remember watching the original with my mom and how we used to recite our favorite bits, especially kooky medium Tangina Barrons. I hated trees outside windows and I still hate clowns.

The 2015 remake stars one of my favorite people ever: Sam Rockwell. I've loved Sam since he played Guy in Galaxy Quest and have never not loved him in anything. He plays Eric Bowen, the father who moves his family into a house built on a graveyard. His wife Amy is played by Rosemarie DeWitt (A Little Bit of Heaven, The Watch). All of her lines seem to be pulled straight from the original and that was slightly off-putting. I don't know if it's because Sam Rockwell is so different from Craig T. Nelson, but he seemed like an entirely new character. Kennedi Clements' Maddie doesn't give off the nothing but pure-light-and-sugary-goodness as Heather O'Rourke's Carol Anne. I did like Kyle Catlett as son Griffin and Saxon Sharbino as older daughter Kendra. Jared Harris as Carrigan Burke (the medium) and Jane Adams as Dr. Brooke Powell made me miss Tangina and Dr. Lesh.

All in all, a good, fun action-packed movie. Not as good or as scary as the original, but worth a watch.

Moral of this movie: Don't become a homeowner (there's a theme brewing) - or get a house with no closets or electronics. And not built on a graveyard.

Comments

Popular Posts