Movie Review: The Conjuring

Second movie in my scare-myself-into-numbness marathon: The Conjuring. This isn't a new one. It was released in 2013 and already has a sequel (The Conjuring 2: The Enfield Poltergeist) and a spin-off prequel (Annabelle). I thought it would be too much for me so I never watched it, but as I was attempting to scare myself into oblivion today, I immediately rented it.

Patrick Wilson (Watchmen, Insidious) and Vera Farmiga (The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, Orphan, Bates Motel) are fantastic as Ed and Lorraine Warren, famous paranormal investigators. I'm fascinated by the Warrens. I've been fascinated by them since I first saw the original Amityville Horror when I was a kid. They investigated not only the Amityville house, but the Smurl family haunting, and the Snedeker house as well. I love watching interviews with Lorraine, she's marvelous.

Ron Livingston (Office Space, Sex & the City) and the incomparable Lili Taylor (The Haunting, Public Enemies, and The Scorch Trials) are wonderful as Carolyn and Roger Perron. I don't think anyone in this movie is less than great.

Overall, The Conjuring is an eerie, creeptasticly fun ride that I'd recommend for a dreary morning like today.

Moral of this movie: Don't become a home owner.

Comments

Popular Posts