The Password is Excelsior (The Purge Spoiler Review)

Here I am watching the second episode of The Purge. I figure it's only ten episodes, why not watch the whole thing?

The blue bus is still rolling on, the brother is still searching, the business lady is still businessing, the love/lust triangle thing is unfurling at a snail's pace, and people have actually been killed in tonight's episode.

So Jane Barbour (bussiness woman) has hired an assassin on Purge Night. Her boss is a complete skeezeball and like all Baldwins, William Baldwin is a great choice for the role. He essentially seemed like he'd only promote her to partner if she... collaborated with him. Joke's on you, dinglehopper, she just hired a fraking assassin.

Our girl Penelope (now, Sister Penny) is still rolling around in the blue bus with the good leader Tavis. One sacrifice has been made and her friend Melissa is extremely reluctant, scared shitless more like, and Penny tries to convince her that she'll be in nothing but love and peace. Melissa is, of course, chosen as the sacrifice. She is forced outside by Tavis's henchman Sam as she screams and pleads. Penelope sobs as she watches her friend get beaten to death as she screams for her.

The love triangle is confusing, but both of the women are so attractive that I don't mind not being riveted by it. I can just watch Jenna and Lila talk to each other or stare into thin air. Lila's dress is spectacular and I wants it.

Brother Miguel is still searching for Penelope and he's taken into custody by a group who puts on Purge Night gauntlets to broadcast live. He has to make it around the block alive to win his freedom... and a car! The concept for the gauntlet is great until it just gets too much for me. He runs into this building and things just grow hokey. He jumps into a ventilation system and there's booby traps and saw blades coming down at him like he's in Indiana Jones. I would have preferred it had it just been guys chasing him through the streets. I guess the show doesn't have the budget to close off streets like the movies. Anyways, Miguel wins and gets the car and drives off. He's off to find Pete the cop, who he finds using the password Excelsior!

Jane's coworker saw something on her laptop and knows about the assassin. She kind of pokes around, puts out the social feelers, to see if she'll give any sign that she legit hired someone to kill their boss. Jane doesn't take the bait. We meet Bracka, the assassin, in a flashback. She's pretty awesome.

The Lila and Jenna kiss was something I didn't know I needed in my life, but now I need a cold shower.

Okay, so far, I'm still not too enthralled by the Miguel arc, even though I love the sweet angel that is Jessica Garza. Jane's story is becoming more and more interesting. I'd be more than happy to see Lila and Jenna some more, minus the husband Rick, who can really just sit down because he's not needed here.

In the second episode, we're briefly introduced to a masked guy in a truck. He's listening to a self-help podcast or something while watching two guys break into a house. He jumps out of the truck and walks toward the house. I instantly want to know more about that guy. Who is he? IMDB has his name as Joe. What is Joe doing? How is Joe doing? Will I like Joe? I have questions.

Comments

Popular Posts