Update: Phlebotomy

Good evening, everyone! It's been quite a while since I posted something other than a Character of the Week. I have been very, very busy lately. I used to say that all the time, but now I'm genuinely busy. I've been working full-time six days a week for a year now. Two months ago I finished a medical terminology course at our local college. It was the pre-requisite to the Phlebotomy basics course. Last month my Phlebotomy basics course began. Tonight we moved from book work and quizzes to actually practicing venipunctures on dummy arms. We learned two departments (Hematology and Coagulation) and had to successfully draw for seven different blood tests. I successfully drew for six of the seven. Of course those six successful draws weren't the only sticks I had attempted. I think poor Smith, John and Anderson, Susan were stuck like thirty times. Luckily our materials are all donated and we don't cost our school a bajillion dollars every time we miss.

I have another ten hours of work this week before Sunday, which will be my only day off this week. I'm very, very excited about it. And now that the first dummy arm sticks are done, I can look forward to next week and some of my anxiety has waned. We have a couple weeks of dummy sticks before we start doing "real draws", which will be us practicing on each other. I'm very anxious about that, but that won't be for a couple more weeks. We'll deal with that when we get to it.

I am still writing, but for right now, unfortunately it's not my priority. I'm currently, during my scarce free time, I've been editing Lilith & the Nephilim, which I think will have a new title before it's done. At this time though I'm more concerned with furthering my education and finally beginning my life as an adult. I want to become stable enough on my own to be able to experience all of those important steps in life, like living with the man that I love and getting a tuxedo cat. At that point, I think I'll finally be able to feel that passion about writing again because with all of my stress and anxiety right now, I have lost that joy and relaxation it had brought me.

Very much looking forward to the future.

Comments

Popular Posts